Friday, February 8, 2013

I'm Having Deservations

 "What did I do to deserve __________?"

I have heard this question asked in both positive and negative ways and it begs the question: How do we put ourselves in the position to deserve something? Do we really deserve anything? If so, who do we deserve it from?

I'm sure you have heard people say something along the lines of the following example:


What did I do to deserve such amazing friends and family?

OR

What did I do to deserve all of the terrible things that keep happening to me?



What does deserve even mean? The word is derived from both Middle English and Latin roots that translate into "to devote oneself" and "to serve." It is defined as being worthy of, fit, or suitable for some kind of reward. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deserve)

Interesting, right? By the very nature of the word, in order to be worthy for some kind of reward, one must be devoted to and service some kind of cause. Seems simple enough, but as the previous examples illustrate, we are often clueless about how we have come to "deserve" something.

So the real question becomes: What are you devoted to? Who do you serve? When you can answer these questions, you may discover the reasons that you deserve the things that happen to you.


by Kristen Keyes

No comments:

Post a Comment