Monday, June 3, 2013

Time to Reflect


People always wait until January to reflect on the past year and to analyze the progress that they have made (or not made) in their lives. I choose my birthday to do that reflecting-it just makes more sense to me. I mean the holidays are so busy who has time to reflect on January 1st? It’s no wonder that so many people don’t follow through with their resolutions-they were made in a holiday HAZE!

I write this today because I think it is so important for people to take the time to think back on all that you have accomplished in the course of a year. If you don’t take that time, then you will never be able to recognize your ability to overcome obstacles, make progress, and take on challenges brought your way. Instead, you will find yourself caught up in your day-to-day routines and life will pass you by.

Last birthday, I decided to quit a job that had been holding me back from pursuing my life for years. I started my master’s degree and proved that I was still as smart as I once was, I moved to my forever home, I started a new job that is blossoming into a career and I finally learned to breathe. I realized that a lot of what I had perceived to be holding me back was my lack of self-reflection on the progress that I had made (or wasn’t making) and a failure to take action with that knowledge. Work had never held me back; I held myself back from new experiences by not allowing for change (and embracing it).

Take the time to reflect:

Reflect on your day
Reflect on your week
Reflect on your month
Reflect on your year

Reflection allows us to recognize how far we have come and how far we still have left to go. Reflecting provides us with an opportunity to analyze our true self and congratulate ourselves for progress that we have made. Take the time to feel your feelings. Create next steps AFTER REFLECTING otherwise you are almost certain to repeat the same things over and over again- like it or not.

by Kristen Keyes

No comments:

Post a Comment